Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Value of Bible Study



Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord (2 Cor. 3:17, 18).
Ever wondered why we should read and study the Bible? Have you adopted the myth that closeness to God and Biblical depth are mutually exclusive? Do we unintentionally (subconsciously) believe that God places a premium on spiritual ignorance? Think about this carefully before answering. You see, all of these questions draw serious attention to the great importance of knowing God and His Word. The value of God’s Word to the entire Christian experience can never be overstated or stressed too much. In an age in which more people are rejecting the Bible, let every Believer embrace it with greater passion to know God intimately and deeply.  I firmly believe the Lord Jesus Christ would be pleased with that.

A Noteworthy Observation
It was Robertson McQuilkin who said, “God desires the response of faith and obedience to both the direct teachings and the principles of Scripture.” I was reminded of this crucial function of the Word of God while reading and studying Dr. McQuilkin’s book, Understanding and Applying the Bible as part of an undergrad Bible class several years ago. Yes, God calls His people to certain responses, values, beliefs, and practices through His Word. Ultimately, we are invited to Him for worship, fellowship, submission, and service through His love letter—The Scriptures. For me McQuilkin's statement reinforced something God had taught me years before. Primarily, that there is tremendous value in Bible study and every Christian should develop strong Bible exploration skills. 
Good Bible study habits and methods are crucial to viable Christian development, growth, and service to our Lord Jesus. While it is true anyone can pick up a Bible, share a truth, explain its application to modern life, and urge others to adhere to it, not anyone can do this regularly with accuracy or effectiveness. Sharing biblical truth with others is our Christian responsibility (Matt. 28:18-20) and a God-given privilege, but we should cherish a palpable measure of competence as we do so (2 Tim. 2:15). Certainly, we all make mistakes when handling Scripture, and we all will again, but still we must strive to represent our Lord well. A desirable aim is to express His Word as accurately and lovingly as we can to benefit the listeners on any given occasion (Eph. 4:11-16). As with any worthwhile skill, Bible study strategies must be learned, cultivated, and explored with diligence. In fact my own story regarding studying and sharing the Bible was fraught with many failures. God, in His infinite grace, eventually developed in me the necessary skills enabling me to research, study, and share His Word with a greater measure of accuracy. He desires to do the same for every Believer without a single exception. My own journey is a testimony to this reality.


Personal Testimony
As a new Christian, I recall a cavernous hunger for the grand teachings of the Bible. Being fascinated with biblical messages and thrilled with certain topics, I dreamed of handling Scripture competently also. However, desiring to study Scripture and possessing the ability to do so effectively, are as different as our solar system from a model of it. I was 23 years of age, four years into an Air Force career, and stationed at Plattsburgh, AFB, NY. It was there the Lord Jesus rescued me from my sin and unto Himself. God had saved and forgiven me of a life of sin, and now it was time to grow in this new relationship He had brought me into. Though I had read portions of the Bible for many years as a young person, I still did not possess any significant Bible study skills. I was starving for biblical insight and roundly inept at feeding my famishing soul.
Another distinct memory of my first Christian year was a bona fide passion to communicate the Word to both Christians and non-Christians. However, I was plagued with a few crippling problems. The most obstructive dilemma was my grossly inadequate biblical and theological understanding. For instance, I could tell someone they needed to be saved, but I could not show them adequately from the Bible. So, I witnessed to others from gospel tracks. Additionally, I knew that foul language was wrong, but I was unable to identify even one verse to support my opinion. It did not take long for me to figure out that my mere assertions do not make my statements true. Convinced that church attendance, prayer, and Bible reading were important, I commended them hardily to others; yet, I had little or no clue where God or the Bible required this. I even declared arrogantly, that "I believe the entire Bible from cover to cover!" The problem was I had only read about three-quarters of it at the time! In addition, I misquoted verses, misstated the Lord’s expectations, endorsed tradition over truth, disagreed with more mature Christians, misapplied Scripture repeatedly, and scandalously confused the topic of service with salvation. Frankly speaking, I even taught things that not even God knew. I even thought it was possible to be unsaved again. If you had known me, you would have described me as the poster child for ‘zeal without knowledge.’ God in His grace has forgiven me for these awful blunders; I had good intentions, but was severely wrong in many instances.


As previously mentioned, I was ill equipped in Scripture study methods. Thus, I had next to zero ability to acquire the knowledge I desperately needed for life and service. My study approach was entirely without rhyme or reason and generously peppered with unfounded theological biases. As a study method, I ransacked my Bible to justify my misguided ‘insights’ and ‘conclusions.’ Like a hunting dog with no sense of smell, I was ever searching for that illusive ‘proof text’ while ignoring the biblical context. Needless to say I made more than a few embarrassing mistakes along the way. Yes, I experienced some agonizing frustrations in my pathetic attempts to ‘serve the Lord’ and be a ‘blessing’ to others. However, through the gracious leadership of our patient Lord, personal growth became my first priority. That decision also directly impacted my ability to minister far more effectively to others in a manner pleasing to the Lord.

God's Providential Guidance
Nevertheless, there was one thing I did right in those early years. Realizing my severe ineptitude, I purchased a King James Study Bible to assist my personal growth endeavors. This proved to be a truly helpful move. The introductory book summaries, responsible Bible insights, outlines, and notes helped me to develop a fundamental doctrinal orientation. Praise the Lord, the Bible was making more sense to me! Not only did I read the Scriptures and the study notes, but I began following some of its guidelines regarding Bible study strategies. You see, that study Bible provided several different ways to explore the Scriptures in its introduction section. Taking these useful instructions seriously, I began using some of those study methods with notable benefit.
God in His infinite grace also prompted me to develop a simple worksheet to record what I was learning. By this strategy, I could preserve the insights He was teaching me and revisit them as I needed them or to share them with others. This proved to be especially supportive of my goal of growth in grace and knowledge (2 Pet. 3:18). These early and humble worksheets spurred me to think far more concretely about Scripture and its place in my own experience. Though my path to using sound Bible study methods was filled with blunders, my ever wise Lord Jesus gradually achieved His purpose in me.
Now there were three major positive developments that came out of those early struggles. The first was my experience of some modest spiritual formation as I applied myself to these study techniques. Secondly, a more effective ministry to believers and non-believers eventually emerged as I used what God was teaching me. People were actually coming to Christ as Savior! Younger believers were receiving some of the basic spiritual guidance they needed. Through my conversations, God was actually ministering to others through what He had taught me. I was delighted beyond my ability to express!
The third advancement was significant improvements of Bible study tools for my personal use. Because I had profoundly profited from these methods, I developed different study worksheets to target other areas in the Christian sphere. Some of these focused on acquiring biblical knowledge, while others zeroed in on application and sanctification. I even designed one for identifying Bible principles and applying them to my professional life. Borrowing ideas and concepts from many different sources, I constructed a number of tailor-made study tools for personal use. After refining these tools, I could confidently introduce them to others as Bible study training aids. In fact, this post is an additional expression of my desire to serve others through personal Bible study training.


Inductive Bible Study
Typical of Inductive Bible Study, my plan enables me to observe, interpret, and apply the Scriptures to daily life. As we interact directly with the Word of God, we are afforded additional opportunities to permit the Holy Spirit to teach us His Word. While this plan can be somewhat demanding, I believe it is equally rewarding to those who are serious about knowing God and making Him known to others. God desires for each of us to know Him through the revelation of the Scriptures; historically my plan has served as a catalyst in this regard. The intent is to grow in Christ as we use inductive study strategies, and certainly God will use us to influence many lives for Christ.
Finally, there are several fundamental guidelines that should influence and help us personally discover God’s eternal truth. My goal is to not only encourage you to study God’s Word habitually, but to also adopt Bible study helps and tools  that expedite Christlike formation and transformed living through Bible study. These guidelines for selecting a study strategy are:
1. The motivations for personal Bible study are obedience to God’s commands, spiritual strength for personal transformation, and preparation for Christian service (2 Tim. 2:15; Jn. 5:39; 1 Jn. 2:14). The goal is not to merely become smarter, to argue with others, to become a ‘know it all,’ or to become a prideful Pharisee.
2. The Inductive Bible Study Method uses the Word of God (Old and New Testaments) as the primary source of insight about God and Christian living (Jn. 14:26; 16:13; 1 Cor. 2:10, 13). Choose a study plan that concentrates attention on the Bible and makes proper use of observation, interpretation, and application techniques. Avoid, so called study methods that rely more on modern experiences, contemporary testimonies, and the ‘talking points’ from fringe movements. These tend to ignore major portions and teachings of the Bible while opting for trendy ideas and popular philosophies (Col. 2:4-12).
3. The study plan you choose should enable you to annotate your observations, interpretations, applications, and translate the message of the text into obedient living (Acts 8:26-39; Neh. 8:1-12; 1 Tim. 4:16). This is necessary to aid the adoption, application, and appropriation of Scripture truth.  A simple notebook will suffice; a Bible study worksheet is even better. The point here is to be sure to write it down. Capture on paper or in a computer document what God is saying to your heart from the Word. This is extremely important and must not be divorced from the Bible study exercise.
4. The obligation of personal growth recognizes that Bible study is not an intellectual or academic exercise, but part of a life-changing process. Once we know what the passage says and mean, we are responsible to live it (2 Pet. 3:18; James 1:22). God calls us to obedience and responsiveness to His Voice. The Gospel is to be preached, precious souls are to be won to Christ, Christians are to be feed with the Word, and ministry is to be executed to meet the existing needs.
Beloved, this is important because good study methods must be translated into obedience to Christ. Observation, interpretation, and application are the three vital facets of inductive Bible study. Choose a plan that provides a means of documenting, annotating, and capturing the valuable biblical information discovered as you explore the rich veins of the Word. Such a plan will enable us to effectively use Bible study as a catalyst for life transformation—genuine Christian formation and experience. 


A Process of Transformation
Yes, Bible study is far more than a scholastic work out for our brains! Possessing insight deeply rooted in eternal Truth is a wonderful achievement, but it is not the target at which we as disciples are to take aim. In fact the danger of more knowledge is more arrogance and impatience with those who are not as astute (1 Cor. 8:1)! No, the Word of God can save, sanctify, satisfy, strengthen, sturdy, stabilize, and stir us repeatedly in a continuing process of transformation. Since it is a supernatural Book, we require supernatural assistance from its Author, the Spirit of Truth, to help us grasp its message 1 Cor. 2). Since it is written in human language, ordinary reading and study skills can also be applied as we study it. According to Paul, the Scriptures were given to transform our lives and fit us for service to Christ (2 Tim. 3:16-17). Beloved, this is the value of Bible study!  
Paul, the apostle, said, “Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2 Cor. 3:17, 18).Yes, the Scriptures stimulate and advance a life changing process that results in greater Christ-likeness (2 Cor. 3:17-18). We must depend on the Spirit of Christ to exercise ourselves in the truths we have learned (Rom. 12:1-2). The wonderful result is a life enriched and changed for the glory of God and the service of our fellow man.
Books you may find helpful if you want to make the commitment to study the Bible regularly on your own are listed below in general order of difficulty, and they represent several strategies. Your best choice would be to look at all of them in a Christian bookstore and try to get a feel for one of them before you try it.
•           How to Study the Bible for Yourself, revised edition, Tim LaHaye
•           Bible Explorer’s Guide, John Phillips
•           Living by the Book, Howard Hendricks
•           How to Study Your Bible, Kay Arthur


•           Understanding and Applying the Bible, Robertson McQuilkin

3 comments:

  1. Good Bible study habits and methods are crucial to viable Christian development, growth, and service to our Lord Jesus. While it is true anyone can pick up a Bible, share a truth, explain its application to modern life, and urge others to adhere to it, not anyone can do this regularly with accuracy or effectiveness. Sharing biblical truth with others is our Christian responsibility (Matt. 28:18-20) and a God-given privilege, but we should cherish a palpable measure of competence as we do so (2 Tim. 2:15).

    https://maxevangel.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-value-of-bible-study.html

    #Methods #Study #Spiritual #Strength #Living #Student #Learning #InductiveStudy #Jesus #MaxEvangel #Skills #Maturity

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third advancement was significant improvements of Bible study tools for my personal use. Because I had profoundly profited from these methods, I developed different study worksheets to target other areas in the Christian sphere. Some of these focused on acquiring biblical knowledge, while others zeroed in on application and sanctification. I even designed one for identifying Bible principles and applying them to my professional life. Borrowing ideas and concepts from many different sources, I constructed a number of tailor-made study tools for personal use.
    https://maxevangel.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-value-of-bible-study.html

    #Bible #Value #Responsibility #God #Discovery #Growth #Jesus #MaxEvangel

    ReplyDelete
  3. As previously mentioned, I was ill equipped in Scripture study methods. Thus, I had next to zero ability to acquire the knowledge I desperately needed for life and service. My study approach was entirely without rhyme or reason and generously peppered with unfounded theological biases. As a study method, I ransacked my Bible to justify my misguided ‘insights’ and ‘conclusions.’ Like a hunting dog with no sense of smell, I was ever searching for that illusive ‘proof text’ while ignoring the biblical context.

    https://maxevangel.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-value-of-bible-study.html

    #Bible #Value #Responsibility #God #Discovery #Growth #Jesus #MaxEvangel

    ReplyDelete

Evangelist Wayne McCray and MaxEvangel

Evangelist Wayne McCray and MaxEvangel
Promoting Redemption, Edification & Revival

MaxEvangel's Promise

MaxEvangel's Promise
We will Always Honor Christ-centered Perspectives!